Saturday, May 18, 2013

Nursery Projects: Wire Bow Holder Tutorial

One of the great things about having a little girl is all of the accessories! I am an organized freak. I hate clutter, so a drawer full of bows made me cringe. I wanted a bow organizer that was a little more modern, but all of the tutorials I read online involved ribbon or chicken wire (which I think you have to buy in bulk at Lowe's). I wanted something a little more simple, so I made up my own tutorial.


I bought this frame at Hobby Lobby for about $20 and removed the backing and glass. Next I measured and decided how far apart I wanted my wire to be. I marked the holes and hand screwed eight "eye screws" which you can purchase at any home improvement store. (I drew a picture of what I wanted, since I didn't know the name, and sent Matthew to the store to hunt them down.) My fingers hurt so bad after screwing them in, but I didn't want to risk damaging the frame with a drill.
  

I used floral wire, since that is what I had on hand, but if I were going to do it again, I would use a heavier wire like they use in jewelry making. I left this on the ground overnight and my toddler broke two of the wires before I could even get it hung on the wall. I used crimp beads (also used in jewelry making) to attach the wire to the eye screws.


Thread the wire through a crimp bead and then through one eye screw. Next, thread the wire back through the crimp bead and using a pair of pliers, flatten the crimp bead. Repeat with the opposite eye screw. Make sure to pull the wire very taut as you don't want it to sag too much.


Ta da! Now you have a modern bow holder for under $25, and you can easily see all of her precious little hair accessories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment